Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Cosplay Time

Yep, it's that time of year again. I'm starting to figure out my costumes for my biggest convention of the year (and 3rd largest in North America, I believe), Fanexpo. I know it isn't until August, but that really is how long it takes me to go through this process... And I always leave too much to the last minute, so I try and get things started early.

So how do I go about making a costume? Well it starts with the selection process. I like being very thorough with my research, and just as thorough with my decision making process. I don't want to get halfway done my costume and realize I'm working on something that I'm not actually crazy about. Anyways, I have folders upon folders of reference pictures that I hunt through, along with some photo album viewing, movie watching, game playing, comic reading, etc. and I consider all my options. When selecting my 3 (this year it will be 4 due to the extra day FanExpo has added, which I'm incredibly happy about), I like to select a variety. I try and aim for one from gaming, one from comics, and one from sci fi. I like to represent all my loves.

So far, I'm about halfway through this part. I've got my options narrowed down. The big question is, do I redo costumes that I love, or try something new? So many tough choices.

From there, I do extensive research. Whatever is required. I find reference photos, seek out other costumers who have made it, find screen shots, pour through books. I figure out every little detail before I get started. I draw sketches, make step by step plans, lists of what I'm going to need. Nothing ever goes as I would hope, but it helps to have a plan.

And then, we go shopping. It takes a long time to get everything I need, it's hard to collect craft supplies, makeup, fabrics and such downtown, so it takes a lot of trips out of the city for me. And I try and make almost everything from scratch, so it's a lot to gather. I'm a little wary of ordering online, but I'm starting to warm to it. I mean, there is nothing you can't find online.

The building process is always long, I like to take my time. Which is why it's never fully complete by convention time, and I always have to take a few shortcuts. But not this year, this year I vow to have everything done according to schedule. And I'll try to keep updates on this blog to show my process. I've never documented the costuming process before (mostly because I really am no expert, I wing it most of the time) but I think I'm finally at that level. Wish my luck!

Coming soon: My costume choices for this year. Any suggestions?

End Transmission

No comments:

Post a Comment